Brawn: Cheeky Monkey is a nice, intermediary quick game. Running about 20-30 minutes--and shorter if you play lightning rounds like Square Wonton recommends for hilarity--this game is great to play in between those three to four hour monsters.
Appeal: The graphics are extremely well-done. It's clear which animal is which. Square Wonton has no issue with the design of this game.
Damage: With a price tag of about $15 + shipping, Cheeky Monkey is worth picking up from Amazon (or check out your friendly local gaming store)!
Amusement: Cheeky Monkey is an entertaining game for those 'tween times, or for new players. It is super easy to learn!
Skill: Seriously. Easy. To. Learn. Seeing as how the art on the back of the cards is educational, Square Wonton can see this game geared towards families with little ones as well as those adult-like folk looking to kill some time.
Square Wonton's Approval: Although not the highlight of a game night, Cheeky Monkey is a great filler game for those attending your game night an hour late while you're in the midst of a thrilling two-hour, aren't-you-so-glad-you-were-on-time game. It is also a great choice for family game night.
|Animal Score Cards|
Square Wonton recommends 4-6 players for Cheeky Monkey. If you have less, try playing lightning rounds where each player must draw tiles as quickly as possible! Lightning rounds is also a nice alternative for experienced Cheeky Monkey players. It forces you to pay better attention to everyone else's zoos, or else you lose!
How to Play
|Bag of Animal Tiles|
A player busts if he or she draws two of the same animal tile. So, if you've drawn a kangaroo, it's likely that you will draw another as there are seven total in the bag. Busting means that all tiles drawn (not already in your zoo) are tossed back into the bag!
If you don't bust, then you can arrange your zoo in a single stack, however you like. Strategically is better. :3
|Stack Your Zoo!|
Herding your zoo means that if you only have one animal type in your current pot of animals, you can place all of them at the bottom of your zoo, thus safe-guarding them from those other ruffians...
In addition to stealing other player(s)' animals, drawing the cheeky monkey allows the player to swap the monkey with the top tile of another person's zoo. An advantage to swapping the monkey is that you are very likely to draw another one and steal it back!
For example, if you have 6/10 of the cheeky monkeys, then you receive the pink monkey tile and the additional ten points to your zoo score! The player with the highest score wins!
Basic Summary of Play
- Decide turn order.
- Draw tiles until player decides to stop or busts.
- If tile drawn matches the top tile of another player's zoo stack, the current player can steal the animal.
- If the player draws a cheeky monkey, he or she can swap the monkey for the top animal of another player's zoo.
- When the player stops, he or she can arrange the animal tiles in a single column in any desired order.
- If the player draws two of the same animal tile, he or she busts! All tiles drawn (traded and/or won) are tossed back into the bag!
- If a player only has one animal type, the player can choose to herd the pack. Herding places the animals safely at the bottom of the zoo stack.
- The bag moves on to the next player, and he or she draws until busts.
- Play continues until there are no tiles left in the bag.
- The animal score cards are awarded to the player with the majority of the animal type! If there is a tie, no one gets the bonus points!
- Each player counts each animal tile in his or her zoo as one point each and adds up the bonus point value listed on the awarded animal score card(s)!
- The player with the most points wins!
Cheeky Monkey is a wonderful, light game and perfect for those in between times! Pick up the game, and pick out some friends to play you some Cheeky Monkey. Game on!